Thursday, July 21, 2011

7-Tin-7: Loafers, Lace, & Leather

Check out my 7-Trends-in-7-Days challenge on my Midsummer Night's Dream... of Fall post.

Day 2:  Grandpa's Memorial Service
The Trend: Loafers
My Grandfather passed away this past December.  He was a healthy 95 and died while dreaming.  Although the oldest of 3, he outlived everyone in his family & all of his friends.  I think he lived that long because he never took himself too seriously, kept his mind very active, & had a glass of scotch every night.  The portion of his life that I witnessed was full of love & laughter.  His memorial service happened to fall within my 7-Tin-7 week & rather than ignore it on this blog I feel that it deserves to be acknowledged because his life was so beautifully lived, something I strive for everyday.  Gramps loved brightly colored plaid pants & loafers so it is only appropriate that I honor him with part 1 of this post by featuring loafers as a hot trend.  He would be so proud!  I fully plan to expand upon this trend in my own closet with a pair or two of flat loafers & at least 1 pair of the ever-so-cool heeled loafers (I am COVETING a turquoise pair at Anthropologie).  But you know the rules of my challenge, so here are my Kate Spades that I have worn into the ground, but for good reason they are casual-cool, comfortable, & go with everything!  So put on an old pair of loafers or invest in a new pair & when you come across the attendant at the gas station or the cashier at the grocery store tell them: "you are a good man Charlie Brown," for Grandpa.

T-shirt, Sweater, & Belt:  JCrew
Shorts:  Theory

Watch:  Michele

Lips:  MAC Wonder Woman gloss, Brick liner 

The flag at Veteran's Memorial Cemetery


Day 2:  Dinner at the pool
The Trend:  Lace
This is not the best example of the lace frocks that graced the runway, but I simply could not resist the 3-L's in my title for this post.  Here you see my afternoon attire to the pool with the ladies & the kids.  I love this cover-up for is subtle see through sexiness & its beautifully embroidered jaquard lattice.  I paired it with a 50's style ruched halter swim suit & a fedora.  Take note of my favorite Tory Burch flops.  The wedged height makes me feel like I'm in heels (I always say that I was born in heels) but with the comfort of flip flops.  Way to go Tory, your shoes are well worth the investment!  Once the days of pool-side happy hour have come to a close, find a lacey frock & wear it ever so stylishly, perhaps with a pair of Tory's heels.
Cover-up:  Anthropologie
Suit:  Anthropologie
Fedora: JCrew
Flops:  Tory Burch



Day 2:  Ray Johnston Band concert to benefit First Candle
The Trend:  Leather
Day 2 started off with a lot of love & emotion and the end of the day was no exception.  The Ray Johnston Band was formed by Ray Johnston, a professional basketball star turned 5-time cancer survivor, turned "live life to the fullest" musician.  He came to town to help raise money for First Candle, an organization dedicated to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) research & education, in honor of sweet baby Logan (see my post on danasangels for the heart-wrenching story).  The event was a celebration of life & a wonderful reminder to not take ANYTHING for granted.  So here we are with another great message for part 3 of this post...
You will probably not find it surprising that I am THRILLED to see loads of leather everywhere.  It has a denim-like timelessness but with that little bit of edge I love so much.  I love stepping a little outside of the box for events like a concert.  Here I paired my sweet TART leather dress with Converse sneakers & a denim shirt, the epitome of contrast in texture & casual coolness.  Grab some leather pants if you dare or find a sweater subtly trimmed in leather for fall, life is too short to not rock it everyday!

Dress:  TART
Shirt:  Banana Republic
Shoes:  Converse
Purse: Betsy Johnson
Watch: Michele

Lips:  MAC Wonder Woman, Brick liner
Dog:  Maya
Bangles:  Forever 21

The risks of blogg-ing while Mom-ing
Cute Little Boy:  Rowan

Stylishly (& humbly) yours,
DKG

No comments:

Post a Comment