Monday, January 24, 2011

Channeling my inner mountain woman spirit

My husband prides himself on "not caring" [what people think of him], or me for that matter, but he is completely mortified that my running sunglasses are a pair of 4 year old Prada shades.  I am obsessed with sunglasses and buy at least a pair a year if not a few pairs.  Seeing as though I live in a city with 270 days of sunshine a year it is completely justified, in my opinion.  I simply recycle my older shades as my "running & hiking" shades & use my new ones for around town & travel.  Most of my hard core friends opt for Oakleys or Smiths, but I am who I am, so I tell my husband to "not care" because I don't.

Now don't get me wrong, I wear Prada shades to hike the hills, but I spent a year traveling the world with a backpack, climbed Mt. Rainier, ran a marathon, & ski the slopes like a crazy woman.  I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a "diva", despite my fashion obsession, I'm more of an adventurous gal who happens to love designer clothes & accessories.  So imagine when I spotted these shoes...


LOVE at first sight.  As I've mentioned in previous blog entries, boots of any type are totally hot right now & I always try to find something a little more unique than the current trend, a little more artistic than the cover of In Style if you will.  This pair of stiletto "hiking boots", for all intensive purposes, fit my out-of-the-box boot obsession for fall/winter.  Having worn these stiletto boots a few times, I have to say that the look is really easy to duplicate for a lot less than I invested.  Take a pair of your old motorcycle boots from high school (are you a horder? I am!), or head to your local thrift/vintage shop & pick up a pair, find some snazzy red laces, & you are off & running, or hiking I should say.

I am fully aware of the fact that this look is not for everyone, but if you are feeling edgy, find yourself in Vail, Aspen, or Park City, or have a rockin' party to attend, give it a try.  I rocked this style last weekend in Sun Valley with a night at the Pioneer followed by Whiskey Jacques.  In addition to feeling very appropriate in a mountain town, yet still stylish, I have to say that the tread on the shoes served an added bonus of cruising the streets without slipping and sliding like I did the night before in my flat-heeled riding boots.  I'd even go as far as to say the heel is not all that dissimilar from a crampon (I did use real ones on Rainier, mind you).  So grab some boots, swap the laces, & get that mountain woman glow... with designer style.

Stylishly yours,
DKG

1 comment: